City walls and the Tower of the Upper Gate
It is known that in Krapkowice from the fourteenth century to 1829 there were city walls with four gates. The first mention of the construction of the city walls comes from 1384 and 1418 year. The walls erected of broken stone were repeatedly transformed and renovated. At the beginning of the nineteenth century, the Oder Gate was demolished. In the years 1840-1860, the town moat was leveled and two more gates were demolished: Kozielska and Opole. Around 1895, a significant part of the walls was demolished. From the fortifications to modern times have survived: the fourteenth-century tower of the Upper Gate with an adjacent part of defensive walls on Basztowa Street, fragments of walls in the north-eastern corner of the town and a lowered series of walls in the south-western part.
The most attractive element of these buildings is the tower of the Upper Gate, called the Krapkowice Tower. It is also a symbol of the city. It is from this place, every day at noon, that the Krapkowice bugle call resounds. The tower of the Upper Gate, built in the second half of the fourteenth century, was rebuilt around 1580. The tower is made of broken stone in the Gothic-Renaissance style. It is a rectangular building, three-storey in the ground floor barrel vaulted. Above the crowning cornice there is an attic with an arcaded frieze. In the recesses of the frieze there are shooting holes. Currently, the Tower is open to visitors. Inside it there is an art gallery and a permanent exhibition on the history of Krapkowice.